TN: 2001 Selbach-Oster and 2007 Raffault at Batard

My first meal at Batard was excellent. Food good and creative, service excellent, prices fair. Nieporent was working the floor like a champ refilling glasses. I’d definitely go back. Both of the below were off the list at Batard - IIRC, ~$60 for the Raffault and $95 for the Selbach-Oster.

2007 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (7/23/2014)
Fine, but I’ve had better bottles of this. Touch of brett and a bit shut down, with the fruit faded from past experience which makes the acid poke out a bit on the back end. Vigorous swirling reveals the same leafy, dark-fruited goodness that I remember, so I have confidence this will improve with age, but I wouldn’t open for a couple of years. (88 pts.)

2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/23/2014)
Merely good and very disappointing given the vintage - I’ve found S-O to have consistently underperformed in 2001. Surprisingly advanced, with a strong petrolly note and much of the sweetness digested, this is softish and open. Hints of honey, lemon, underripe stonefruit. Muted aromatics. 2002 of this is better. (87 pts.)

Hmm. Recently has some 2001 Selbachs with totally different results from yours.

Il faut de tout pour faire un monde.

Oui. Chacun a son gout.

Doesn’t make you right though.