Sojourn Release

Just received the July offer from Sojourn this morning. Three SVD pinots, a chardonnay and a cab.

I have not experienced Soujourn before but see they are highly acclaimed by WB’ers and still “reasonable” values given the ratings. Any recommendations as to where to start with their lineup? I’m thinking Gap’s Crown, Sangiacomo for sure, not certain about Rodgers Creek. Would love to find a more moderately priced CA pinot producer to pare back some of the increasingly expensive producers I have been buying for the past years (WS in particular). Any insight into their style? Any love here for their chardonnay and cabs?

Thanks in advance!

The Sangiocomo Chard is amazing as is the Rodgers Pinot. All the wines pretty great. There are notes here:

They are rich wines with lots of substance and solidly Californian in style, but are by no means overripe or overpowered. Fans of California wines should really enjoy them. They are quite good. I particularly like the cabs. The last time I tasted through the Pinots the Rogers Creek was my favorite if I remember correctly. Have not tried the Chardonnay.

Been a regular buyer of Sojourn wines for the last several years. Did not see an email on the release or notes on their website, usually they put out a newsletter with the release.

all I got was an e-mail promoting a previously released Gpas Crown pinot I think…

Beautiful, thanks all! Sounds like the Rodgers Creek worth a try based on the comments there about being more food-friendly, lighter bodied and “Burgundian”. Also going to give the SC Chard a spin to round out a case.

Got an email touting the Gap’s Crown and linking me to an allocation of what looks like mostly previously released bottlings. Hopefully they’ll come in time to stave off some of the fall releases and save me some $$. [bye.gif]

For me personally, the Rodgers Creek and the Sonoma Coast bottlings are their more acidic and less ripe/sweet tasting pinots, and more to my personal tastes. But you won’t confuse either with Burgundy, these are definitely California sunshine wines.

Perfect, I like to have a bit of each style in the cellar - one for food, another for company! Rodgers should fit the bill for the former, and Sangiacomo and Gap’s crown the latter.

Same here, haven’t seen a thing.

They are just offering the remaining wines from their spring offering…

and promoting the wine club.
I’m tempted but don’t have funds/space for 18 bottles per year.
I really like the wines

Don’t overlook their Sonoma Coast pinot. It’s their least expensive pinot and is really good.

+1

+2 whole Lineup is great, just making other choices now.

Love their wines… wish I had more room, I am hitting capacity… :frowning:

I would say Sojourn is our “go to” Pinot. I usually buy at least a case each release. It is in the wheelhouse of my favorite flavor profile. The Silver Eagle ( in last offer), Gap Crown and Sangiacomo are amongst the best California Pinot for the dollar. With the case discount, the price is very fair. I am arranging a taste of the fall line-up which I think is released in August. You should too!

I just received the email/card announcing Sojourn’s Fall release.

While we can debate the value of point scoring ad nauseum, I find scores to be particularly useless when a winery touts their wines’ scores without any reference to whose scores:

Fall 2014 Wines

• 2012 Silver Eagle Vineyard Pinot noir - Rated 95 points!
• 2012 Ridgetop Vineyard Pinot noir - Rated 94 points!
• 2012 Campbell Ranch Vineyard Pinot noir - Rated 94 points!
• 2012 Wohler Vineyard Pinot noir - Rated 92 points!
• 2012 Russian River Valley Pinot noir - Rated 93 points!
• New! 2012 Campbell Ranch Vineyard Chardonnay - Rated 91 points!
• New! 2012 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay - Rated 90 points!
• New! 2011 Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
• 2011 Spring Mountain District Cabernet Sauvignon

You mean the email that provides a link to this page that tells you who scored the wines? Sonoma Vineyards | Napa Vineyards | Sojourn Cellars

Just had the 2011 Silver Eagle Pinot a week ago and it was awesome. I know things change year to year but I will surely be headed back to the trough for this one. Might try the Oakville Cab for the heck of it to see what they have to offer… I have resorted to taking only the best of each wine list I am on. After being on too many lists I figure take a couple each of my faves and leave the rest so I can have a little of each from my favorite producers and not go bankrupt :slight_smile:

I’ve been buying Sojourn for several years but have taken a break lately. I started comparing the value to Rivers Marie, Carlisle, and Bedrock, and it just wasn’t there for me. That said, every single bottle I’ve opened has been stellar. I’m glad to have over a dozen left in my cellar from past vintages. But I’m not sure how much, if at all, I will reload going forward. They’re garnering points, and raising prices as a result.