Let's talk everything Champagne

So I have to blame my friends Michael Lewis and David White for turning me into a Champagne junkie. I can’t get enough of it. Checking CT, I’ve purchased five cases of it since the beginning of June. Some of my vices have been various Agrapart bottlings, Ulysse Collin, Pierre Peters Chetillons, Jacquesson, Vilmart (even though Claffee is so over it (hope you read this, Scott)), Krug, Maillart, Vergnon, Gimonnet, and the find of all finds, a bottle of '85 Dom on Craigslist for a fraction of retail. We even started Champagne Sundays where we all bring brunch foods and a bottle. Does it get better than that?

I can’t think if any other type of wine that I want to drink 365 days a year. I’m sure I’m not alone with this, but I feel champagne doesn’t get enough play on the board, unless it’s about pricing of new Salon or Krug.

I’d just enjoy an open forum discussion about everything Champagne. Doesn’t have to be the best qpr thread or anything like that, but I’m curious as to what everyone else drinks. To start the weekend I’m having:

I have a bottle of Bouchard Inflorescence Blanc de Noirs on ice at this very moment.

I agree, I would drink much more if not for the tariff. There is virtually no food that bubbles don’t pair well with.

Curious, is it the V11? Waiting for delivery on some of that, so would be interested to hear back. As far as tariff, if you like Agrapart Terroirs, that can be found for $40. I went deep on that.

Your weather sucks. But glad your photos are back;)

Severe storms rolling through DC. But by the end of the month, I’ll have to figure out how to incorporate this into my wine pics.

I love the stuff and agree it could be a daily experience for me. I’m looking for mags of NV Pierre Peters with a disgorgement date in late 2013. If anyone knows where they can be found, please advise.

Is it just strictly the mags that have '08 juice in late '13? I checked a 750 and the disgorgement date was April. I’m guessing that’s '07.

I’m pretty sure the fifths with 08 juice were bottled before that. (Fall-winter of 2013.)

What glass is that Jeb? and how many bones does that cost?

Zalto white wine glass. This or universal make take champagne to the next level.

I try to consume 2-4 bottles a week of Champagne, it’s just that good. When it comes to taste though, I am very picky. I like to buy a bottle, try it, and if I love it I go back and buy three more. There’s so much out there that exploring has been super fun. Lately we’ve been drinking lots of zero or ultra-low dosage wines, with laserbeams of acidity shooting everywhere. Love it!

If you haven’t tried this, give the NV Philipponnat Royale Réserve Non Dosé a shot. I think it’s $40 from Rare Wine Co.

First off, the Champagne emoticon doesn’t get enough play on the boards. champagne.gif

As for the Champagne itself, I have tons to spat off on.

• my hands down favorite style of wine
• '88 is an insanely good vintage flirtysmile
• other countries can compete with Champagne on the low end, but there’s just no substitute for the high-end stuff
• never needing a corkscrew to open a bottle is awesome
• I have never perceived any noticeable benefits from decanting it
• ultra brut/zero dosage seems to be quite difficult for most producers to pull off
• I think vintage rosés age much better than most give them credit for
• a Champagne habit is a very fast way to deplete disposable income [cry.gif]
• Nicolas Feuillatte Cuvee Palmes d’Or is some serious Pinot goodness
• The Cru classification system in Champagne is terrible outdated
• Champagne flutes are a terrible way to drink nice Champagne

need to drink more champagne

Charlie, out of curiosity, could you elaborate on your experiences with decanting Champagne? To be fair, I have never used one of those elaborate gooseneck decanters.

Jeb,

These bottles are from a cases 2 or 3 years ago )maybe longer) and have no designation on them I can find. I’m thinking 2004 to 2005 juice.

In the past year we have drank quite a bit of Allain Bailly, Gossett, Dom Ruinart, NV Pierre Peters, Pierre Peters Chetillons, VC La Gran Dame, Dom, Krug, Taittinger and Salon.

Our go to champagne is NV Pierre Peters, love it; we buy it by the case for about $43 per bottle. The Gossett isn’t too bad and is definitely priced ok but at the price, it’s hard to not grab a bottle of PP from the wine fridge. I have several cases of higher end stuff on order right now but the $40 to $70 bottles are our daily drinkers. I need to check on pricing because we only have about 2-3 bottles of NV Pierre Peters left and I think the price has gone up. Mags are nice and I will pick up some especially if I can get the 2008 but I’ll grab another case or two if the price is right.

I need to experiment around some more this year, would like to find some kick ass grower champagnes that don’t break the bank.

We also opened up a NV Pierre Peters tonight. I wasn’t impressed the first time I had it and this time was no different. I’m wondering if it’s the style or perhaps '07 juice. I really like the '06 Chetillons so I dunno.

No doubt, the Chetillons is smokin but it also cost about $30+ more per bottle. I usually decant the NV and kick back in my recliner and enjoy. I use the Zalto Universal for Champy and won’t go back to flutes unless we are having a small dinner gathering.

Definitely will, thanks for the recommendation!