Interesting Blog Post by Kevin McKenna (Louis/Dressner)

All about changes in the business and ethics:

http://louisdressner.com/date/2014/6/25/262/

Hi,

As the English say, TMI!..

I don’t know who would be interested in such an involved post about commercial disputes…

The author says:
“The rise of internet “journalism” and social media marketing allows for any creep to say anything they want”

Well, the Internet reflects life: the best and the worst of life.
Alongside the creeps there are people who really have some worthwhile knowledge to share.
And some of the critics and journalists has less knowledge and a more shallow background than certain people posting on forums such as this!!!

I’ll take the double-edged world of the Internet to a life without the Internet any day of the week.

Best regards,
Alex R.

• TMI = Too Much Information

I think this is Jules Dressner posting in Kevin’s blog.
I can see why that last incident would have broken the camel’s back.

If you’re going to complain and go into such detail complaining that people can obviously figure out who you’re talking about… Just name the people instead of pussy footing around.

thanks for posting, Ken, that was a great read

Alex,

A large number of us can easily figure out who the involved parties are. Thus it makes it more interesting than it might be for you.

“Grey Market” Importing is an everyday thing in California - and it’s been going on for decades. This particular importer has always been a little skittish over things like this.

I remember purchasing some vintage ports from a West Coast Importer years ago that shared the producer with Dressner (not grey market). I put on my website a small article written by Dressner (giving him proper credit of course) about the estate, and promptly received a cease and desist letter from Dressner’s lawyer and a very nasty e-mail from one of the Dressners. These guys have always been a little bit uptight.

Maybe he’s concerned about being sued. You might want to check with a lawyer about that.

[snort.gif]

I think someone needs to tell him life isn’t fair.

While it was an interesting read, what has now put me off to this guy is when he blames us the consumer, for buying wines from some company who’s wine buyer possibly (as he has no facts other than “Heard”) owes some producers “LOTS of money.” So how the hell are any of us consumers supposed to know who owes what to who? Give me a break. This guy needs to get a life…maybe it’s time he retire from the “industry.”

If you want to turn people away from your business, this is a good example of how to do it.

I’ve read the post twice, and do not at all see him blaming the consumer. His ire is clearly directed at the importers who are being…umm…less than honest.

Furthermore, he talks about others making inflated claims, etc. Well, a quick check of his website reveals they do the same…

Quinta do Infantado has been a leader in estate-bottled Ports since 1979.

They make some decent things here and there, but are not a “leader” in estate-bottled Ports by any stretch.

The Quinta is based in Pinhão, specifically in the subdistrict of Gontelho > where the best Port vineyards may be found> .

Really, that’s the first I’ve heard of that. But ok, he’s obviously taking some liberties…oh wait, that’s exactly what he’s upset about the other guy doing. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

But they have no problem lifting photos off the internet to color their blog posts…

Is selector L. Someone we know (used to post here)?

Opps, you are correct I misread…it was other “people working with wine”. But the exact same applies…

Actually, I very much enjoyed the politely worded rant. Opinionated but informative to non-ITBers, as long as you have some interest in wine distribution.

RT

Oh yeah…

Well, that does make it more interesting… :slight_smile:

And LAZY.

+1.

I’m pretty surprised that folks aren’t more on the side of the Dressner folks. Dressner does an amazing job of promoting their producers, and subsequently, selling wine. I can’t speak to their “accounts payable” department since I don’t work there, but they’ve been very successful and have a great reputation.

I think it’s good they left names out. It neutralizes the situation a bit more, and keeps the incident in the limelight, not the person who did it.

That, and the fact that I got this because another person who used to post here (and was in business with Selector L) posted this on facebook.

I do like the picture of the pregnant woman drinking.

I love the Dressner portfolio. The rest is inside baseball. I happen to be a big fan of the Internet too, for better and for worse.