1.5kg beef rump roast/bottom round or “Tafelspitz”
2 bottles red wine
2 tsp all-spice
2 tsp juniper berry
2 tsp black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
250ml red wine vinegar
1. Chopp 2 onions in slices and crush the spices lightly in a mortar. Put everything to a bowl.
2. Add red wine and vinegar
3. Here the “Tafelspitz”
4. Add the meat to the marinade and add some clingfilm and put in the fridge for 3-5 days.
5. After 3-5 days use paper towels to keep the meat dry
6. Then sauté the meat in oil in a dutch oven or a STAUB cocotte like me on both sides for 2-4min. Also add some salt.
7. Add 2 chopped carrots&onions and also sauté.
8. Add part of the marinade to the meat. But not everything. The meat must be 2/3 in liquid. I also added 2-3 carrots extra. Turn on the heat until the liquid is bubbling. Add a lid and put in the pre-heated oven for 3h by 150C/300F.
9. The sauce is very thin, so you have to thicken it. Use what you prefer. I removed part of the cooking sauce to a sauteuse and cooked it on high heat and add some carrots slices to thicken the sauce. I used a hand blender.
Category: Berlin Kitchen