2-4 lamb shanks
1 onion roughly chopped
1 carrot roughly chopped
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp hot smoked paprika (or mild Pimenton de la Vera)
2 cinnamon sticks halved or 3tsp grounded cinnamon
2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic crushed
500ml red wine
500ml water or lamb/chicken stock
optional: fresh mint leaves
2 bay leaves
1.Put the lamb shanks in a form and add the marinade based on 2tsp cumin, 2tsp smoked paprika, 2tsp grounded cinnamon or sticks, oregano, garlic and olive oil. Add a clingfilm and put in the fridge overnight or several hours.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F. Then heat a large casserole and add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the lamb in it for about 6 minutes until coloured on all sides. Also add salt.
3. Add rest of of the marinade and chopped onion, carrot and bay leaves. Brown the vegetables for 1-2min.
4. Add a dash of red wine and deglace the bottom of the casserole, scraping up the bits from the bottom.
5. Then add rest of the wine and water or stock and let it bubbling. Also add 1tsp cumin and 1tsp grounded cinnamon. Then put in the oven without lid for 3h
6. Regularly brush the meat with cooking liquid.
7. Optional serve the mellow meat with some mint leaves on top. I forgot it, uups. Definitely add some delicious cooking sauce. ENJOY
Category: Berlin Kitchen